Kabarak University invites applications from interested and suitably qualified candidates to fill the following positions at the University. The University is a Christian Institution committed to Christian Biblical principles and values and successful candidates will be required to uphold this value system
Health IT Project Intern (2 positions)
Location: Kabarak University Main Campus
Internship Duration: One Year; Reporting Date: February 2024
The Directorate of Research, Innovation, and Outreach, Kabarak University, in conjunction with the University of Nairobi Enterprises (UNES), under the auspices of the HealthIT project, is seeking to fill the position of an intern with a qualified and highly competent individual. The HealthIT Project Intern will play the role of providing technical support.
HealthIT is an activity funded by USAID/Kenya. The activity led by the University of Nairobi through UNES (University of Nairobi Enterprises and Services) is working collaboratively with the Government of Kenya (GoK)- Ministry of Health to contribute to evidence-based decision-making by health stakeholders in Kenya. This collaboration is aimed at strengthening national Information system such as DHIS2, MFL, MCUL, EMR/EHRs, LMIS, and DSL that support reporting, provide data for decision making and improving human capacity on use of health systems, quality data capture and reporting. The activity also closely works with Department of Children services (DCS) in system enhancement of CPIMS and with AfyaUgavi on Visualization of Malaria Data through Creation of Dashboards on the DHIS2.
Sustainability of gains made through the University of Nairobi and MoH is being replicated through a County-Proximate-University (CPU) model aimed at addressing HIS needs in counties that are accessible to the partner Universities. The activity is therefore building capacity of the universities’ faculty and students through DHIS2 academies, generation of system evaluation questions, HIS hackathons, bootcamps, online learning, participation in County Technical Working Groups (TWGs) and provision of IT interns for county HIS technical support. These efforts are aimed at enabling the CPU partners to provide technical support to the County Health Management Teams.
Kabarak University, through the Directorate of Research, Innovation and Outreach is the County Proximal University (CPU) for Nakuru, Baringo, Elgeyo Marakwet and Laikipia counties in the HealthIT project.
Reporting to the Health IT Project Activity Lead (PAL) and the County Health Management Teams (CHMT) the Interns shall be tasked with the following responsibilities:
- Playing the role of providing technical support
- To serve as the key resource in activity areas that ensures the delivery of the project activities. These include the following:
- To provide HIS support to the CHMT. This includes the following: Data validation and verification, Developing county information products, Data alignment, EMR assessment, implementation and technical support, EID/VL support, participate in HIS/EMR/HER Technical Working Groups and Task forces.
- To provide ICT support and maintenance to CHMT at the county, sub-county, and health facilities. Undertake trouble shooting and maintenance of equipment, network etc.
- To provide support to CPIMS system at county and sub-county levels on ICT maintenance and troubleshooting
- Support Capacity building efforts and support Hackathons and Bootcamps as part of building a community of practice.
- Provide project reports from the various aligned and related activities in the work plan.
- Any other activities directed by the County Proximate University Project Coordinator (PC) with liaison with the HealthIT Chief of Party (CoP)
- Graduated between 2020 - 2022 with a Degree in Computer science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or equivalent course.
- Experience with software design, development and automated testing
- Familiar with agile or other rapid application development methodologies
- Experience in programming using Python/Django, PHP, Java EE and AngularJS, including skills on data structure fundamentals and relational databases.
- Understanding of REST APIs, JSON, JSONP and Web Services technologies
- Understanding of use of version control using git
- Passionate about user experience
- Experience in Health Information Systems development will be an added advantage
- Participation in hackathons or bootcamps will be an added advantage
Applicants interested in the position should submit the following:
- Cover letter detailing why you want to be considered for the position
- Detailed CV including at minimum (Max 2 pages):
- Biographical data including: Full names, current mailing address, current telephone contacts, email address
- Educational history to date, clearly detailing the program, certificate obtained, and completion date
- Experience on software development and programming
- Names of three referees with their phone and email contacts
- Certified copies of ALL academic and professional certificates and testimonials.
For full details about this position and how to apply, applicants are required to log in to our e-recruitment platform via https://careers.kabarak.ac.ke, create an account and follow the procedure as guided. They should attach certified copies of certificates and testimonials.
Applications must be received not later than Tuesday 23rd January 2024 and should be addressed to;
Registrar, Administration and Human Resources
P.O Box Private Bag 20157
Nakuru - Kenya
N/B: Only shortlisted applicants shall be contacted. Kabarak University does not require any payment in order to process your applications.
Kabarak University is an equal opportunity employer.