Goal of the Programme
There is need for prevention, reduction of transmission of both communicable and non-communicable diseases in the human population and improvement of physical, biological, cultural and social environmental conditions. The necessity of capacity building in the field of environmental health has been compounded by the continued increase in environmental hazards emanating from adverse effects of climate change, environmental health effects of globalization (such as pandemics and zoonoses) and non-communicable Diseases.
The Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Degree programme in Environmental Health aims at producing Environmental Health scientists capable of addressing health issues by responding effectively to deteriorating environmental conditions that affect human health with a view to proposing possible solutions thereby enhancing good health and sustainable environmental management.
Minimum Admission Requirements
KCSE C+, with C+ in Chemistry, Biology, English or Kiswahili and Mathematics/Physics
Expected Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the prescribed course of study, the Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health graduates shall be able to:
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the underlying principles of environmental health.
- Demonstrate the application of methodologies and approaches needed for the identification and control of factors that can adversely affect the health of present and future generations.
- Apply the requisite technical, scientific, managerial and interpersonal skill to undertake the profession and practice of environmental health.
- Demonstrate competencies in the core disciplines of environmental health.
- Exhibit creativity and innovation in environmental health issues