The Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Degree programme in Public Health aims at producing Public Health scientists capable of addressing health issues by responding effectively to deteriorating environmental conditions that affect human health with a view to proposing possible solutions thereby enhancing good health and sustainable environmental management.
Goal of the Programme
There is need for prevention, reduction of transmission of both communicable and non-communicable diseases in the human population and improvement of physical, biological, cultural and social environmental conditions. The necessity of capacity building in the field of environmental health has been compounded by the continued increase in environmental hazards emanating from adverse effects of climate change, environmental health effects of globalization (such as pandemics and zoonoses) and non-communicable Diseases.
The Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Degree programme in Environmental Health aims at producing Environmental Health scientists capable of addressing health issues by responding effectively to deteriorating environmental conditions that affect human health with a view to proposing possible solutions thereby enhancing good health and sustainable environmental management.
Minimum Admission Requirements
All candidates admitted to the Bachelor of Science Degree in Public Health (BScPH) in the School of Medicine and Health Sciences must satisfy the following requirements:
- The common University entry regulations on admission.
- In addition, candidates must obtain at least the minimum cut-off points of (C+) for the year as determined from the following subject cluster drawn from the Kenya Certificate Secondary Education (KCSE) and if a candidate fulfills the four cluster subjects:
- Mathematics or Physics C+
- Chemistry C+
- Biology C+
- English/Kiswahili C+
- Candidates with one of the following combinations of passes in the Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education or Advanced Certificate Level of the General Certificate of Education:-
- Two Principals or Advanced Level passes of at least Grade C obtained at the same sitting. Or
- Two principals or Advanced Level passes obtained at different sittings provided that both passes are of Grade C or higher.
- Those candidates holding qualifications equivalent to the above from institutions recognized by the senate and public health officer and technicians council (PHOTC) may also be considered for admission.
- Candidates with Ordinary Diploma in Environmental Health and /or Higher National Diploma in Environmental Health disciplines from recognized institutions with a mean grade of C plain in KCSE or equivalent may be considered for admission.
- Candidates holding Diplomas from other health related disciplines with a mean grade of C plain in KCSE or equivalent may be considered for admission however they will have to start from year one.
- Additional entry requirements as may be specified by respective faculties, schools or departments.
Expected Learning Outcomes of the programme
Upon completion of the prescribed course of study, the Bachelor of Science in Public Health graduates shall be able to:
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the underlying principles of Public health
- Demonstrate the application of methodologies and approaches needed for the identification and control of factors that can adversely affect the health of present and future generations.
- Apply the requisite technical, scientific, managerial and interpersonal skill to undertake the profession and practice of public health
- Demonstrate competencies in the core disciplines of public health
- Exhibit creativity and innovation in public health issues
Public health skills are highly sought after globally as witnessed in the recent Covid-19 pandemic public health emergency. Public health graduates can work in a number of organizations which focus on disease prevention, promotion and protection of the health of people. They include; health care facilities, research institutes, NGOs, consulting firms and many other places. Our students can have careers serving as the following:
- Public health officer: Responsible for health and well being of individuals and the community through prevention of diseases by ensuring access to clean water, safe food, proper hygiene and sanitation
- Epidemiologist: Epidemiologists study the patterns and causes of diseases in human population. They design and conduct studies, analyse data, and communicate findings to public health officials and the general public. Graduates of our program with a focus in epidemiology would be well suited for this career.
- Research Scientists: They design and conduct studies involving clinical trials, infectious diseases prevention, environmental health and other public health priority areas.