Goal of the Programme
For many centuries, man has continued to draw all his support resources from the environment. By-products of resources use are dumped in the environment. Present knowledge reveals that there are safe levels of carrying capacities, which must not be exceeded. Rapid human population growth places enormous demands on land resources, energy, shelter and living space. Outdoor recreation lacks the right environment partly because of polluted waters, degraded wildlife habitats, sea and lakeshores and deforested watersheds among others. Above all, the laws and policies which are related to protection and utilization of resources are currently inadequate and the existing ones are not fully enforced for sustainability of environmental resources. There is need for trained environmental custodians at all levels. In order to provide safety valves to our production, manage the ecological systems that are highly susceptible to stress and monitor environmental quality, there is need to train environmentalists who are able to provide advisory services on the overall use, conservation and enhancement of environmental quality.
Minimum Requirements for Admission
KCSE C+ with C (plain) in Biology, Chemistry, Geography, and Physics or Mathematics.
Expected Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the programme graduates will be able to:
- Analyze environmental issues in terms of their business, economic, scientific and technological dimensions.
- Develop and apply technological solutions in pragmatic, environmentally-sensitive ways
- Work within existing ethical, legal and regulatory frameworks.
- Contribute to technological development planning.
- Support the principles of sustainable development in practical ways, matched to current business and political realities.