Department of Public Health
Welcome to Kabarak University the department of public health. It is one of the academic departments in the School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) created in May 2016. Presently, the department offers a Master of Public Health programme and a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health (Public Health) programme. The department aims at producing competitive professionals who will be able to prevent diseases, prolong life and promote health in populations. The training integrates faith in teaching and learning to produce competent qualified professionals in public health practice.
Programmes Offered at the Department
1. Master of Public Health Requirements
BSc. Second Class Honours Upper Division in any of the following areas: Public Health, Environmental Health, Human Nutrition and Dietetics, Nursing, Biomedical Sciences, MBChB, Biochemistry, Community Health and development or equivalent qualifications. Those with Second Class Lower Division must have at least 2 years of practical experience after graduation.
2. Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health (Public Health) Requirements
All candidates admitted to the Bachelor of Science Degree in Environmental Health (Public Health) in the School of Medicine and Health Sciences must satisfy the following requirements:
- The common University entry regulations on admission.
- In addition, candidates must obtain at least the minimum cut-off points of (C+) for the year as determined from the following subject cluster drawn from the Kenya Certificate Secondary Education (KCSE) and if a candidate fulfils the four cluster subjects:
- Mathematics or Physics C+
- Chemistry C+
- Biology C+
- English/Kiswahili C+
- Candidates with one of the following combinations of passes in the Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education or Advanced Certificate Level of the General Certificate of Education:-
- Two Principals or Advanced Level passes of at least Grade C obtained at the same sitting. Or
- Two principals or Advanced Level passes obtained at different sittings provided that both passes are of Grade C or higher.
- Those candidates holding qualifications equivalent to the above from institutions recognized by the senate and public health officer and technicians council (PHOTC) may also be considered for admission.
- Candidates with Ordinary Diploma in Environmental Health and /or Higher Diploma in Environmental Health disciplines from recognized institutions will be considered for admission.
- Candidates holding Diplomas from other health related disciplines may be considered for admission however they will have to start from year one.
We have intakes in January, May and September every year for both the Master of Public Health and Bachelor of science degree in Environmental Health.